Business Intelligence Implementation
How long does it take to implement Business Intelligence system?
It depends on the project size. The Implementation of Business Intelligence system can last from a few weeks to several months. A lot of companies, after the BI system implementation, start to observe benefits and decide to extend their system by adding new areas and funcionality.
Which business area should be developed/extended first?
Business Intelligence Systems should be implemented according to the priorities. Starting from the implementation of the functions most important for company. The most popular is sales area and financial module.
How to prepare data in data warehouse to implement Business Intelligence system quickly and efficiently?
High quality of data in Business Intelligence system has significant impact on further analytical processes. The Preparation of data is a very complex process. The data from many source systems have to be properly cleaned and integrated. Cleaning the data is based on standardization of the forms of records and data types. The integration process involves combining of the previously cleaned data. To do this experts use ETL/DQ processes.
How to implement Business Intelligence in your company?
Business Intelligence systems implementation is a complex process. Its effectiveness depends on many factors. The most important one is the team experience, solid requirement analysis, a proper choice of technologies and training for the future system users.
What factors are significant during the Business Intelligence tools implementation?
The implementation of a new Business Intelligence system should be preceded by an accurate analysis of company’s needs and aims. It is necessary to do research of the future final users expectations.
What are the threats of the implementation of Business Intelligence?
Tipical threats connected with the implementation of Business Intelligence systems are:
- badly estimated costs and time of realization
- badly estimated implementation aims
- lack of client commitment
- lack of employees responsible for implementation
- lack of support for project and low awareness of changes
- communication problems
- employees non approval of system
Main problems, with the biggest impact on project, usually appear in the begining of realization. Their consequences lengthen the time of achieving aims and they have negative impact on the involvement and the realization of the project.
How does the implementation of Business Intelligence function?
Business Intelligence implementation is a comprehensive process including a lot of stages, which can differ depending on the approach. These stages can come one after another or coincide. The chosen solution depends on implementation details and is based on the experience of BI specialists. Usually it consists of the following steps:
- Planning – creating a project plan, defining the data warehouse architecture, technical measures, tasks etc.
- Analysis and requirements gathering – understanding the business needs and users requirements.
- Creating the data warehouse and tematic warehouses – creating measurement and fact tables.
- Obtaining data from source systems – locating the data sources and analyzing their structures, identification of transformation operation and cleaning to ensure the data consistency and quality.
- Supplying the data warehouse – separation, transformation and introduction of process.
- Process automating – automation and scheduling of supplementation the warehouse.
- Creating initial set of reports – preparation of templates and report models.
- Correctness controlling and data testing – the control over the warehouse operations using the previously prepared reports and correctness processes.
Trainings – for the users and the administrators.
Before implementation of BI system it is possible to specify KPI. It will help to evaluate the results of the implementation. Quantitative and qualitative measures can be used.
Support during and after the implementation of BI system.
Business Intelligence Specialists implement the system with company employees within the earlier established area. They can implement it completely or just the selected parts. After the contracted work the specialists give professional training concerning using the system. Technical support to some extent is also provided (SLA contract, post-implementation support, helpdesk ect.).
What are the key success indicators of the implementation of Business Intelligence system?
The main success indicators of Business Intelligence are:
- utility – system fulfill it is function
- efficiency – system is working quickly and efficiently
- reliability – system works without failure
- accordance with the expectations – the system corresponds with the users expectations
Moreover, before the implementation of BI system it is possible to specify KPI. It will help to evaluate the results of implementation. Quantitative and qualitative measures can be used.